BIM knowledge is good – proven experience is better?

Consider the extent of implementation support required by those who work in Design Construction. Don’t buy or sell software and solutions that teams find it difficult to use. They won’t use it.  How people interface with this new technology, well that is a subject worth investigating further.

You can talk about BIM, work hard in BIM, but only measured performance against the project objectives you set out to achieve matters. There is no real global standard in what a good BIM Model is, therefore we lack both qualitative and quantifiable KPI

It is necessary to identify those who can undertake the BIM and work with the attributed data you require on your project. This who tender for BIM works should have to prequalify to tender on a BIM Project. This will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Words are words, actions are actions but only performance is reality, so look for Proof of Concept. This is where the different project software BIM solutions we are using converge and we learn what works and what does not. It’s the BIM validation phase of the Data and Model Quality in the project objectives and maybe reaching 80% of these is ok as a deliverable, the remaining 20% is a bonus to be developed. Potentially you can meet 80% of your project benefits though collecting 20% of the information, and through 20% of the activity you do.

Consider this, when you go to a supermarket you go with a shopping list.  You don’t purchase everything in the store. It is the same with COBie and asset management, prepare a shopping list of assets you require, establish what you need, and what creates the best return on investment.

Ladder and Plateau BIM: Develop BIM and technology solutions whilst climbing the ladder and test them on the plateau, on proof of concepts and real projects. Beware those who offer advice in BIM, but who do not have regular access to live BIM projects and real BIM data and outcomes, yet they still advise on the way to do BIM.

Be prepared to learn by doing, there is no shame in stepping back down of the ladder, having a team huddle, testing your thinking and assumptions and getting back on the ladder. You will reach your goals and objectives.

Before long we will start to believe our own BIM-wash and more significantly the BIM-wash of others. Having lots of questions is alright, similarly not having all the answers is similarly ok, the chances are someone else in the room will acknowledge the question you just asked. Recognise BIM, if used right has the  potential to deliver better projects.

4,383 total views, 12 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *